Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Month Down, 8 to go...and MEB!




It's been an interesting month. First of all, it's absolutely FLOWN by. (just like this year...NOVEMBER?!)

My training thus far has been largely unremarkable. I've been working on keeping my heart rate low. Real low. Supposed to go less than 145 running, 130 cycling. Easier said than done! But the trick is to get my body burning fat instead of carb. It seems to be working. I started off running at about 12+ minute pace. Yuck. Literally had an old man run beside me and ask me if I was "starting out." Now I'm no speed freak, but that was definitely humbling. That was earlier this month - I'm now able to do 10:30 or so at the same HR. Hopefully I'll just keep improving. Still, I find it very frustrating to keep the pace slow. Running used to be my outlet, but now it's definitely a burden! But it's for the best and I know long term the payoff will be huge.

Cycling has been a different story. I've been LOVING the new bike - the titanium goliath made by Serotta. It's a bike that would be way out of my league ($) had I not got it used from my dad's old doctor! I also find it easier to keep the heartrate down since you can coast, and it just feels like cruising. Nice.

Went on an epic ride up in San Luis last weekend - to Avilla Beach Pier, then inland to the wine country. AMAZING. I was the "manic cyclist" up there - always smiling! I can't imagine living there...probably some of the best cyling in SoCal.




Yesterday went another beautiful ride down here in LA with LA TriClub friends yesterday.

All and all, status quo and I look forward to Month #2 of "Base Training."

And WAY TO GO MEB! That was amazing seeing him win in NYC today. Huge for this ultra cool dude who my buddy Billy and I met in Houston. (He won that race too!)

And on a random note, here's by pup Henry dressed up as a Pumpkin!

6 comments:

  1. haha, love the label "dog dressed as a pumpkin" ;). nice going with the training and woot for getting a great bike on the cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We arent losing you are we? You better not give up running for biking! jk

    Love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job with the HR training. I've never tried HR training but know a TON of people that use it.

    I'm so excited to follow you on this journey! I just signed up for my first 70.3! WHOA I'm nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pup! Keep up the training!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Film composer moonlighting as a runner, cyclist and triathlete